Friday, July 13, 2007

New books in the store

Today's new book are of the speculative ilk. Some of these titles where surprising collaborations. It's a always a good thing when unexpected art results from unexpected artists.

Casanegra: A Tennyson Hardwick Story
by Blair Underwood
with Tananarive Due & Steven Barnes

I was unaware that Blair Underwood had any ambitions as a writer. Some may know him from Sex in the City or LA Law. I know him as the man who has been struggling to produce the movie version of Tananarive Due's My Soul to Keep an excellent and incredibly scary, horror novel. Tananarive Due teams with her husband, Steven Barnes, and Underwood in an unusual collaboration to create this mystery that is getting a number of good reviews from critics.

Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
Edited by Delia Sherman & Theodora Goss

I had a hard time getting a clear definition of what "interstitial fiction" means, the idea behind this collection of short stories. It seems to have something to do with "speculative writing that defies definition." Humm, interesting.

Editors Delia Sherman and Theodora Goss read through short-story submissions from four continents to select the 19 stories they felt expressed the best in contemporary interstitial fiction, the imaginative spaces between conventional genres — realistic and fantastical, scholarly and poetic, personal and political.

The Eternals
by Neil Gaiman & illustrated by John Romita, Jr.

You are thousands of years old. You have amazing powers. You have watched civilizations rise and fall. So why does no one remember any of this?

I had to look at the publisher a few times for it to finally sink in that Neil Gaiman has written for Marvel! I've been told by my inside link into graphic novel geekdom, that it is extremely well drawn and has an amazing story. I would expect no less from the Dream King. The hardcover is a bit expensive at $29.95 but for the hardcore Gaiman fan it's probably worth it.

Reading Comics: How Graphic Novels Work and What They Mean by Douglas Wolk

In Reading Comics, critic Douglas Wolk shows us why this is and how it came to be. Wolk illuminates the most dazzling creators of modern comics-from Alan Moore to Alison Bechdel to Dave Sim to Chris Ware-and introduces a critical theory that explains where each fits into the pantheon of art.

2 comments:

olufunke grace bankole: said...

jenn,

tananarive due was recommended to me by a poet, at the vona writing workshop. which of her books would you recommend to someone who hasn't read any of her works?

jenn said...

I love Tananarive Due! She actually read at my store twice. I think that she is one of the most underrated writers today and the natural inheritor to Octavia E. Butler.

I would say try reading My Soul to Keep first, then The Living Blood. Her book The Good House scared the sh*t out of me and it was an excellent read.

Keep in mind that this is horror fiction and can get quite scary (I have to say this because I'm mostly a chicken myself) but her writing is soooo good. She'll keep you coming back for more.

Post a Comment