Friday, July 13, 2007

Adventures with Geoff's New Book

Lots of stuff has been going on with Geoff's new book A Basket of Leaves: 99 Books That Capture the Spirit of Africa. The book is a collection of essays on books from every country in Africa.

Geoff Wisner has traversed the vast African continent and produced a book that is the quintessential reader’s guide to the books that capture the spirit of the continent – from the desert of Algeria to the savannahs of Kenya, and the jungles of Equatorial Guinea. He presents reviews and excerpts from notable books from each of the 54 countries in Africa.

Geoff has been reluctant to let me blog about it because it is not available in the US yet. It was published in South Africa by Jacana Press. Indigocafe.com will be the only way to get it in the US (initially?). The biggest problem is getting the books here to the US. The shipping costs are no joke. And also the communication with South Africa has been very slow going. I'm working on getting a shipment for Indigo and I hope to make the books available soon.

We received some author copies a few weeks ago and I literally cried when I opened the box. I just couldn't stop tearing up every time I looked at the book so I put them into another room. I'm just so proud. I know how hard Geoff worked to make this book possible.

The book seems to be doing well in South Africa! Geoff will be doing his first radio interview on the book this Sunday on SAfm so please tune in!

Note: He will appear somewhere between 13:00 - 16:00 (South Africa Time) on the SAfm Literature Show

0 comments:

Post a Comment