Monday, May 21, 2007

New trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal?

Mumia Abu-Jamal was a NPR correspondent, journalist, activist, and member of the Black Panther party. He has spent 25 years on death row. I don't know what really happened during the course of the crime on that night in Philadelphia but I do know what I saw in the footage of the trial. There is no way that that trial can be mistaken to be a search for justice. I saw him bound and gagged at one point and, at another, he was dragged out of the courtroom kicking and screaming.

From a May 18, 2007 Democracy Now! report:
"Attorneys for Mumia Abu-Jamal Urge a Federal Appeals Court to Grant the Former Black Panther a New Trial" —

We argued before a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, which is just below the US Supreme Court. The court seemed really interested. There are a number of issues pending before this court. They involve the death penalty, racism in jury selection, the racism and bias of the trial judge, Sabo, who referred to my client during the trial, to use his words -- I’m quoting him -- “I’m going to help them fry the nigger,” referring to Mumia Abu-Jamal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment