Thursday, March 29, 2007

What is going on with PGW?

I got a letter from the courts the other day letting me know that PGW (Publishers Group West) is going into bankruptcy, or rather that the parent company of PGW is going into bankruptcy. This was kind of a shock since so many good books come out of PGW. I never did like the company that bought them. PGW changed for the worse since they took over. As a small store I didn't always have large orders and they just stopped taking them. Once I was ordering 20 or so books and they wouldn't take the order because it was too small. They told me to call back when I had 30 or more books to order. So I just didn't call back. And now that I have completely changed my business paradigm I don't order from them at all but from a distribution company.

It's a shame though. There are many small publishers that distribute through them and this is really going to hurt them. It seems that Perseus Book Group is going to pick their accounts. Perseus is okay. Not great, just okay.

0 comments:

Post a Comment