Friday, March 30, 2007

Bookshelves

Today I'm going to tackle that nasty little bug in the bookshelves code. I've been putting it off for too long. It keeps me awake at night sometimes and makes me feel like less of a person. ;o) Code can do this to you. Drive you crazy over a slow roasting flame. You know there is a bug in there but you just can't find the little thing and it makes you nuts. This is why I haven't sent out a news letter this year. Because of this nasty little bug.

The bookshelves I think are key to converting Indigo into a more community based website. Instead of me being the only one to recommend books, a community of like minded people can develop a list of their favorite books.

To make this work I have to change the login and account code so that you don't have to buy in order to be a member. I also have to change the code to allow for personalization. So that each person when they come on the site is recognized as an individual. I've always been against personalization. I've always thought that there is nothing more impersonal that personalization. But now I think that I have found a place where that isn't true: in community-based sites.

0 comments:

Post a Comment