Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Thoughts on "The Eternals"

The Eternals
by Neil Gaiman

My Rating:

I was so excited to get this graphic novel. I can't even tell you how much. Neil Gaiman trying something new is a real treat. But I'm afraid that this title left me cold. I expect more from Neil Gaiman. Or is it, I expect more from this genre. It used to be enough for comics to be about superheros flying around and hitting people, but that simply is not enough anymore. It hasn't been for a really long time. The one person in the whole world who should know this is Neil Gaiman. He practically recreated the genre of graphic novels single-handedly with The Sandman series. There are many who still struggle to reach up to the bar that he set.

I was hoping that he would do more with myth. Illuminate some deep understanding of this new pantheon with a rich story. I'm afraid that it just wasn't there. Maybe Gaiman has too many projects going on at the same time right now. I don't know. I just can't recommend this one, especially as a $29.95 hardcover.

As for Marvel, I give them an "A" for effort. The production of the book was tight. The layout, the illustration, and the colors were masterful. But if you ask me the reason why this thing fell flat is because Marvel is in a time loop that they just can't seem to get out of. The Marvel Universe is tired. Tired and boring. Metahumans struggling against a society that doesn't understand them has been done to death. Move on to a new story line for Gosh's sake. I've been reading this same story with you guys for damn near 20 years and you can't find something new yet? Please. Read a sci-fi novel or something. Think of something else to say. You are boring people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment