Monday, August 13, 2007

Charles Saunders, author of Imaro, needs our help

Night Shade Books, Charles Saunders current publisher, is pulling the plug on the Imaro series, after publishing only two of the five books.

The reason? Poor sales.

Quoted from an email sent to the Carl Brandon Society from Charles Saunders:

I can't fault Night Shade. They did everything they could to market the books. But too many booksellers they approached declined to stock them, and too many of the outlets to which they sent review copies declined to review them. The first book generated a slight buzz because I had been known in the past, and was making a comeback. There was no buzz at all on the second book, and seeing that myself, I should have known Night Shade's action was coming. But that doesn't make me feel better.

Black Speculative Fiction is a genre that struggles to maintain itself. Though there are many black writers of sci-fi, it has been difficult maintain the stability of books remaining in print. The long and short of it is: we need to buy the brother's books. You can also help by asking your local library to stock them and recommend them to your friends. We can't let his books go out of print. We simply can't.

1 comments:

matile said...

Hello. I'm Charles R. Saunders. I want to thank you for your support of my work, and let you know that Imaro will return, despite last year's setback. Sword & Soul Media will publish the remaining three volumes of Imaro's saga later this year, via print-on-demand.

In the meantime, a book featuring Dossouye, my Black Amazon character, is now available at www.lulu.com.

I'm not giving up. Thanks again for your support.

Post a Comment