Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Octavia E. Butler Material

The death of author Octavia E. Butler last year hit me unexpectedly hard. I really admired her for being the ultimate trailblazer. Her ability to write her own truth gave (gives?) me courage. I even attempted an obituary for her on Indigocafe.com. Since then I collected links to unusual materials about her on the web. I hope you enjoy them:

  • The PBS program Ask the Experts: Octavia Butler where she shared her career background and interests.

  • Two unpublished short stories on Scifi.com "The Book of Martha" and "Amnesty"

  • Radio Interviews with her on Bookworm April 15, 2004 and March 16, 2006

  • Locus 2000 Interview where she talks about a third novel in the Parable series called "Parable of the Trickster." (I always felt there would be a third one to this series. I can't help hoping that there is a manuscript out there somewhere yet to be found.)

  • A radio teleplay of Kindred on SciFi's Seeing Ear Theater with
    Alfre Woodard plays "Dana Franklin"
    Lynn Whitfield plays "Sarah"
    and Ruby Dee performs Slave Narratives

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via MyBlogLog and I thought it looked interesting. Then I found this gem of a post on Octavia Butler who I never knew personally but who has been part of my learning experience in life. Thanks so much for the interviews - just to hear her beautiful voice and her words words words!

jenn said...

I didn't know her either but I did meet her breifly at a reading. I have a couple of signed books which I treasure (and you can only get through my cold dead hands and even then I will put up a fight! :o)

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the video and audio clips. She was something wasn't she.

jenn said...

More Octavia stuff to post! Here is a link to a Charlie Rose interview
part 1 and part 2 and a interview with her on Amazon ... I know, I know they are the devil, but even the devil has his day.

jenn said...

Also there is a new fan site for Octavia here octaviabutler.net/.

Post a Comment