Monday, May 28, 2007

African Voices Magazine

African Voices is a magazine of literature from the African Diaspora. I had almost forgotten about it. Since I closed the storefront I don't see it regularly anymore, but I'm glad to say that it is still around. This is no small achievement since so many magazines have folded. Writing about books and literature is the least profitable way to stay afloat as a magazine so my hat is off to the contributors to African Voices for staying true to their mission and not succumbing to the temptation of covering "booty books" which is so prevalent in black culture right now.

Their distribution is limited, as to be expected, so they definitely need (and deserve) your support. I got the latest copy from a friend who is a contributing writer to the magazine when we ran into each other on the train. They are on the shelves of a few store here in NYC or you can get a subscription.

0 comments:

Post a Comment