Saturday, March 31, 2007

Helen Oyeyemi reads

Geoff and I are going to see Helen Oyeyemi at the KGB Bar tonight at 7pm. She is going to read from her novel The Icarus Girl. She is supposed to be a very unusual girl. I once heard her say that she would follow people home when she was a little girl just so she could be with another family. Her parents didn't know what to do with her. Her book is supposed to be excellent. She was working on it while she was supposed to be studying for her exams. She got into University of Cambridge anyway — amazing. I'll update this post after the reading.

Update: KGB Bar is a cool spot. The bar is simple and has an almost grungy feel to it. All the walls are painted red and there are pictures of Russian poets and Soviet paraphernalia everywhere. The readings were strange. The first two that read were clearly just starting out. Their stories were about sex and more sex with little in between. I don't mind erotica but I like more to go with sex than just the act. Sorry guys try again.

Helen Oyeyemi was the exception. She read from a new work, not "The Icarus Girl." Her piece was mysterious and sultry. The English language is clearly her friend. She actually was sitting next to me and we talked for a bit. She is a very nice girl, very soft spoken and sweet. She says that she is moving to the states and will be attending Columbia for an MFA. I can only imagine her professors there! Ha! Ha! Are they going to be intimidated by her. I hope she doesn't let them push her around.

0 comments:

Post a Comment